You are at the heart of everything we do
We embrace the North and Northerners. Your needs drive our actions.
We are motivated to make a difference.
For more than 20 years, OHSNI has partnered with Northerners for better care.
IN THAT TIME, WE HAVE
Connected more than
patients to the care they needed
Facilitated more than
appointments in the South
Held more than
specialty clinics in the North
What to expect
Get on the plane to Ottawa
Call us before your first appointment
Call us before your first appointment at
We will call you back
We will call you back the next business day and arrange services in English or Inuktitut.
We will walk you through
- AHow you will get to and from your appointment
- BWho will be with you
- CAny additional information you will need
Attend your appointment
Once it's done, call your case manager to discuss next steps.
Our guarantee to youWe work toward better care and better lives.
To get there, we are committed to:
- Providing you service in the language of your choice (English or Inuktitut); we have a team of medical interpreters who are ready to assist
- Being your advocate
- Making your safety the top priority
- Ensuring your stay in Ottawa is most efficient and short as possible
We've got your back! And we will get you back home as soon as we can.
Coming with an escort?Nunavut's travel policy decides whether someone will travel with you or not. If you request that an escort join you while you're in Ottawa, we can help you complete the request form. But it will still be sent to North for approval.
If you are cleared to travel with an escort, here's what that person should know:
- They should be prepared to be away for up to four full weeks.
- If you become well enough to be on your own or to travel by yourself, they will be cleared for home.
- They're here to provide you with essential support; they are part of your care team.
- They may be given information or instructions for follow-up once you return home.
- They must sign the Client and Escort Agreementbefore travelling.
Need anything? Let us know!
If you (or your escort) need anything before coming to Ottawa or during your time here, let us know.GET IN TOUCH Or call us at: 613-523-7822 Ext 151 Someone is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Here’s what patients and their families say about OHSNI
My mother was at hospital and did not have a family escort. But Donna was there the whole time with her, keeping me in contact via text messages. I just want to thank OSHNI and her for her amazing work. I am not sure what she would have done without her help and assistance.”
Christie Akittiq Akearok, daughter of an OHSNI client